Livestreaming with an RTMP allows a more flexible, and personal experience. It is only available on the web platform. It allows you to Livestream with multiple people, allows screen share, and allows connecting to external hardware!
Why use RTMP software to Livestream to your Community?
Live streaming has seen massive growth recently and has firmly become a mainstay feature in the Community space. It has proven a great way to bring people together and give that personal experience that isn't possible through other mediums.
RTMP Livestreaming allows you to take your livestream to that next step,allowing a more professional and personal experience. It is also highly customisable and flexible, meaning that Livestreams can be set up in multiple ways.
Using an external streaming service, you'll be able to:
- Have multiple people on the stream at once
- Use screen sharing, play pre-recorded videos or include multiple media sources
- Connect to external cameras, microphones, or other hardware
Alternatively, to stream directly from your community’s mobile app just look for the Go live button in the Community app when posting. Please note that livestreaming through RTMP is only available using the web platform.
There are multiple livestream services available, some free and some paid. We have provided a list below for you to explore some of the options:
What permissions do I need to Livestream through RTMP?
RTMP live streaming uses the same permission settings as live streaming through the mobile app plus one thing, the streamer must also be a group admin. This means that the "Can Livestream" toggle in the member settings will need to be enabled as well as the member being a group admin for the group they're going live to. To find out how to do this, read our step-by-step guide.
I’m sold, but how do I actually livestream through RTMP?
Once the correct permissions are enabled, the Livestream icon will appear on the posting widget; this will be displayed on the activity feed and for groups where group admin settings are enabled. Selecting the Go Live icon opens the Livestream screen. From here, the livestream can be set up and started.
Here is a step by step on how to set up and stream to your community through RTMP:
- Open a live streaming service that supports the RTMP protocol. All services require a slightly different setup process, how-to guides for some popular streaming services below:
8. Select Notify Members. A Notification will be sent out to members and put the livestream into Standby Mode by doing this. At this point, your Community will be made aware that a livestream is about to start but they will not see the stream itself.
9. To share the stream with members, select the Go Live button. By selecting the Go live button, the stream will be sent from the RTMP software to community. While streaming, comments will be displayed in real-time onto the live streaming page. From here, you will be able to interact and reply to your members throughout the stream.
How do I Stop Live streaming through RTMP?
Once the livestream has come to an end, it will need to be stopped in the community and on the RTMP software through two simple steps.
First, click the 'End Livestream' button in the community app - this will end the stream to the community but will not stop the stream from your streaming studio. You will need to go into your RTMP streaming software and end the stream from there. This will completely stop the stream.
Once the stream has ended, you will be given the option to post the stream to a select group, where it can be accompanied by a post.