Your app can be monetised in four ways: (1) Pay to download (2) Subscription (3) In-App Purchases (4) Sponsorship.
If you haven't already seen our feature set, please take a look here.
Disciple offers the following commercial models:
- Single tier subscription for the whole app
- Single tier subscription for the whole app with additional In-App Purchase (IAP) of content in folders
- Single tier subscription for one/multiple sections and the remainder sections free
- In-app purchases of one/multiple sections in folders (providing access in perpetuity), and the remainder sections free
Subscriptions can be set up to be monthly or annually.
Free trials can be set up for a subscription app:
- 3, 7 or 30 Day free trial for monthly subscription
- 1 or multiple-months trials can be offered with Annual Subscription
Prices for subscription or in-app purchases are limited to iOS App Store pricing tiers. Full list is here. Android can be priced more flexibly.
There are two types of commercial products available in the app: premium product & in-app purchase (IAP).
Premium product allows for various sections of the app to be locked as part of a subscription or one-off purchase.
The IAP product allows digital files to be locked in the folders section of the app only.
If two models co-exist in one given app, purchasing one product does not provide an automatic access to another.
Premium Product (Subscription or one-off purchase):
- There can only be one premium product in the app. But, it is possible to have multiple price points (for example, monthly / annual options) but they will unlock the same content
- Access to content tagged as “premium” / “subscribers only” in the hub. This content can appear on the feeds and in folders
- Access to native audio files tagged as “subscribers only” in the hub in the music section (applicable for music apps)
- Access to events that are tagged as “premium only”
- Access to live streams if chosen to make live stream a premium content
- Premium content will be blurred out / have a tint layer on top when viewed by a free member. If a free app member clicks on premium content, they will see a paywall message with call to action to upgrade or subscribe
- Both folders and individual files in the folders can be tagged as premium product
- Premium product has a multi-screen payment flow (at sign up) and more elaborate payment page with product description and info on pricing and trials (see above visuals)
In-App Purchases / IAP Product
In-app product (sold as in-app purchase) is content that is locked in a folder and is assigned to a specific product code in the hub. When viewed by a free user, the file assigned to a IAP in the folder has a tint layer on top and a padlock sign next to it.
- Content assigned to an in-app purchase can only be hosted in the folders of the app
- There can be multiple products in one given app
- Live stream feature can not be tagged into a IAP product. If the app only has IAPs, the live stream feature will be a free feature
- Files can be assigned to multiple products. i.e. more than one product could unlock them (only 1 of them required)
- IAPs files can be audio, video, images, PDFs (“documents”) or entire Folders.
- IAP has very limiting payment flow - one screen with character limit on product description.
Linking to external web stores
Apple & Google Pay integration to allow for simple purchasing. You can also sell app exclusive merchandise by making the website a secret link.
External web links are, however, suitable for physical products only. Digital products (music, ebooks etc.) must be sold via in-app purchase or link to Apple Store for iOS and Play Store for Android.
Looking to create your own community app? Contact our Community Experts - email@example.com
Need help with your existing Disciple powered community? Contact our Customer Support team - firstname.lastname@example.org