You can create posts with a wide range of content types and styles to keep your community up to date and engaged.Posts are one of your key ways to engage with your members. There are a couple of ways you can create posts – from the Console and from within your community.
Here's a video explanation of how to create a post in the Console.
Step-by-step – How to create a post in the Console
- In the Console click Posts in the left-hand menu.
2. At the top of the Posts page you'll see a sliding carousel of your Groups. Select the Group you want to post to. You can then type your post into the text box.
If you click on the profile picture that's in the top-left of the text box you'll be able to switch the author of your posts. This is useful if you have a generic community account as well as an individual one in your own name.
3. Once you've typed your post, you can add an image or video if you want. Just click the grey Upload image/video box at the far right of the text box.
If you have uploaded an image or video, when you hover over it you see two buttons:
- Add link – you can add a link so that when Members click or press on the image it'll open a URL. This is particularly useful for Sponsored posts.
- Add media – with this you can add multiple images.
4. You can also add some more options to your post if you click More on the left side of the text box. With this you can click:
- Add link button – you can add a link to an external URL or to another location within your community.
- Add poll – you can add a poll with up to four options.
- Add GIF – here you can paste a URL from Giphy to add a GIF to your post. You can't post images or videos and GIFs in the same post.
5. If you click the bell icon to the bottom-left of the post box you can choose whether to send a push notification to your Members for this post, and you can write a tailored notification if you want.
6. If you click the cog icon (right next to the bell icon) you can choose some more settings for this post:
- Show as a Sponsored post – if you switch this setting on the post will have a Sponsored banner to let your Members know that it's sponsored. This is really useful if you work with partners on sponsored content.
- Pin at the top of the feed for... – here you can choose how long you'd like this post to be pinned to the top of this Group for (you don't have to pin it if you don't want to). Pinning a post is a really useful way to give Group Members a constant reminder of a particular aspect of your community or a reminder about what the Group is for.
- Targeted devices – here you can choose whether you want this post to appear to only iOS or Android users of your app.
7. Once you're happy with your post you can either click Post to publish the content or click Schedule to choose a time for this content to go live.
If you click Schedule you'll see a calendar where you can choose your date. Click OK, then you can choose the time for your Post to go live.
How to create a post from within your community
Here's how you can create posts from within your Mobile App.
1. Press the Create a post button. You'll find the button in the bottom-right corner of any Group, just above the bottom navigation. You can either do this from within the Group you're posting to or from another – you'll be able to choose which Group to post to in Step 2.
2. You'll then see the post creation screen. At the top you'll see which Group you're posting to. If you press the Group name you'll be able to switch to another Group if you need to.
3. You can then type your post into the post creation section.
4. You can then add media to your post if you want to, using the buttons at the bottom of the post creation section. From left to right you can:
- Choose image(s) or a video from your camera roll
- Search from a GIF library
- Take a new image with your device's camera
5. You can also press the cog icon for some additional settings. From here you can choose whether or not to send your Members a push notification about this new post. And you can choose whether or not your Members can share this post. Just press Save when you've chosen your settings.
6. Once you're happy with your post, press Post in the top-right corner to publish it to your community, and watch the comments and likes roll in!
Looking to create your own community app? Contact our Community Experts - email@example.com
Need help with your existing Disciple powered community? Contact our Customer Support team - firstname.lastname@example.org