Learn how to create action buttons prompting your members to access other parts of the app or external web links.
Deep linking is the perfect way to help your users navigate towards parts of the app they may not have looked at in a while, such as events and folders.
You can also direct members out to an external web page.
There are three ways you can deep link - either as an action button on an event or post, or by using the folders section. Deep links supported within the app:
To find the post ID, go to your CMS and visit the posts section. The post ID will be listed on the left hand side of the page.
To find the event ID, go to your CMS and visit the events section. The event ID will be listed on the left hand side of the page.
To find the folder ID, go to your CMS and visit the folders section. The folder ID will be listed on the left hand side of the page.
Live stream area.
A feed, wall or group.
/walls/group or feed key
To find out the key for the group, feed or wall you want to deep link to, go to Manage → Groups and check on the list.
If you're linking out, make sure the full URL is given including https:// or http://, not just www.
To find the article ID, go to your CMS and visit Assets → Articles. The article ID will be listed on the left hand side of the page.
To find the hashtag text, go to your CMS and visit Manage → Hashtags. You'll then see a list of the hashtags used within your app, and you just need to copy the hashtag itself without the # symbol
To find the album ID, go to your CMS and visit folders. The music album ID will be listed on the left hand side of the page, the same as folders.
How to add a deep link as a Call To Action in a post:
- Go into your CMS and create a new post
- Click on the three dots and select 'Add link button'
- Add some short text for people to click on, such as 'Click here' or 'View.'
- Paste the deep link code
- Submit post
How to add a deep link as a Call To Action in an event:
- Go to the events section of the CMS and create a new event
- Fill in all the relevant fields, including time and date
- Scroll down to buttons, and click Add Button
- Add some short text for people to click on, such as 'Buy tickets' or 'RSVP'
- Paste the URL to a ticket site or your website
- You can have up to three buttons here to accommodate different ticket types
You can also add deep links from folders, so by clicking on a folder's cover image you'll be taken to an external website or another area of the app.
How to add a deep link to another area of the app from a folder:
- Go into your CMS and create a new folder.
- Choose the link button
- Search for what area of the app you want to link to
- Create folder
To deep link to an external website from a folder:
- Go into your CMS and then click on Advanced settings
- Go onto Folders and create a new folder
- Scroll down to where you add your cover photo
- Click on where it says 'Archive'
- Copy and paste the URL into both fields (make sure the HTTP:// or HTTPS:// is there!)
- Click 'Links Appear Native' for a better user experience (your app header will remain at the top of the page, keeping the member in the app)
- Create folder
If you found this article useful, don't forget to give us a smiley face!
Looking to create your own community app? Contact our Community Experts - firstname.lastname@example.org
Need help with your existing Disciple powered community? Contact our Customer Support team - email@example.com